Estate Planning Provides Protection, Guidance And Peace Of Mind
Few of us want to think about our own mortality, which is one reason many Americans do not have an estate plan in place. However, it’s important to remember that estate planning doesn’t just benefit you, it provides guidance and peace of mind to your family members.
Estate Planning Provides Many Benefits
Estate planning is about much more than just naming heirs to inherit property. A thorough estate plan is the best way to ensure that your final wishes are honored and that your family is taken care of in your absence. Furthermore, estate planning allows you to make decisions for yourself rather than leaving your family and friends with the heartache and burden of making tough decisions for you if you are unable to do so for yourself.
A few of the benefits provided by a well-written estate plan include:
- Avoiding the potential for family conflict by clearly designating beneficiaries for your assets, including valuable family heirlooms (last will and testament)
- Allowing you to leave a legacy of charitable giving to organizations and causes you support (last will and testament)
- Documenting your wishes for medical care and end-of-life care in the event that you someday become incapacitated (advance health care directive or living will)
- Designating someone to make medical decisions on your behalf if you lose the capacity to make or communicate those decisions (health care power of attorney)
- Designating someone to handle financial matters for you if you become unable to do so (durable power of attorney for finances)
It’s In Your Best Interests To Consult An Estate Planning Lawyer
We live in a do-it-yourself society. Many people attempt to develop their own estate plans after performing their own online research. While there is nothing wrong with DIY estate planning documents, per se, these forms tend to be generic templates that may not accurately represent the unique details of your case or the laws of Pennsylvania. Furthermore, creating an estate plan on your own can lead to unintended outcomes and costly mistakes.
At Ayla O'Brien Law Firm, P.C., we provide highly tailored estate planning services. We will identify and evaluate your estate planning needs and goals. During our conversation, we will also consider the benefits and drawbacks various estate planning choices will have on you, your assets and your family. Once we have a thorough understanding of your needs, we draft and execute estate planning documents that are in accordance with Pennsylvania law and accurately reflect your wishes.
After your estate plan has been completed, we will reserve a copy in our office to ensure your family members can obtain your plan if needed.
Updating An Existing Estate Plan
As your life changes it may be necessary to update your plan. We can help you with this process. We will review your existing estate planning documents, discuss your changing needs and goals, and make updates as necessary to ensure your plan is up to date and remains legally enforceable.
Contact Our Firm To Discuss Your Estate Planning Needs Today
To discuss your estate planning needs, call us at 215-596-4913 or fill out our online contact form. Our office is located in Doylestown, Pennsylvania, and we serve clients in Bucks County, Montgomery County and surrounding counties.
Contact Ayla O'Brien Law Firm, P.C.
Connect with us